Support for Freescale's MPC85xx has been committed.

Stephane E. Potvin sepotvin at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 19 17:35:31 UTC 2008

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2008, at 12:15 PM, Rafal Jaworowski wrote:
>
>> Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Rafal committed the bulk of the support for Freescale's MPC85xx
>>> processor. The core of which is the e500, a Book E implementation.
>>>
>>> Over the coming weeks we'll be polishing things up but we invite
>>> everyone to start playing with it already.
>>>
>>> Have fun!
>>>

>> Oh yes, it was great fun bringing this to life (right Marcel?), so enjoy!
>
> Oh, yes... and there's more...
>
>> It still needs to be hooked to the build :) But I'm going to do it in
>> a couple
>> of minutes.
>
> Great. This evening I'll sync up the e500 tree and see what loose
> ends we still have, but from the looks of it I can alraeady start
> building work and kernel from CVS...
>
> And: we're just in time for the March snapshot too!!!

Just for the fun of it, I tried to run the loader on one of our TMG3200
(a custom board based on a MPC8349EA processor). And to my
great surprise/pleasure it ran on the first try. Now I just need to
find enough time to make the kernel also run...

U-Boot 1.3.2-gb0a5ab63 (Mar 19 2008 - 11:17:26) MPC83XX

Reset Status: Software Hard, External/Internal Soft, External/Internal Hard

CPU:   e300c1, MPC8349, Rev: 31 at 400 MHz, CSB:  266 MHz
Board: TelcoBridges TMG3200
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  512 MB (DDR1, 64-bit, ECC on)
FLASH: 128 MB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   TSEC0, TSEC1
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
TMG3200> tftp $loadaddr ubldr
Speed: 1000, full duplex
Using TSEC0 device
TFTP from server 10.0.0.153; our IP address is 10.0.1.250
Filename 'ubldr'.
Load address: 0x200000
done
Bytes transferred = 200750 (3102e hex)
TMG3200> bootelf $loadaddr
Clearing .sbss @ 0x00037540 (120 bytes)
Clearing .bss @ 0x000375b8 (6920 bytes)
## Starting application at 0x00010074 ...
Consoles: U-Boot console
Compatible API signature found @1ffa0010
Number of U-Boot devices found 1

FreeBSD/powerpc U-Boot loader, Revision 0.6
(spotvin at yoda.telcobridges.com, Tue Mar 18 21:55:42 EDT 2008)
Memory: 512MB
FLASH:  128MB
Unable to load a kernel!

can't load 'kernel'

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
loader>

Impressive work guys!

Steph