G5 boots multi-user!

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 21 23:08:32 UTC 2008

There appears to be a bug in NFS not using using copyin() to get the
hostname from its arguments when a mount is being updating. Fixing that
with an #if 0 sledgehammer produces the following patch:

http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/nfs_vfsops.diff

Combine that with the main G5 patch:

http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/g5.diff

This produces a system that will boot multiuser on my iMac G5. It still
has plenty of bugs, to whit:

1) The system is extremely slow. Measured CPU clock speed is 50 MHz,
which is about what it feels like. I think it is in a low-power mode,
but IBM docs say it can only run at 1800 and 900 MHz. So this is
probably an inefficiency in the MMU module.

2) There remain several nasty panics. The system is not especially
stable yet.
-Nathan