FreeBSD on MPC8349 (e300 core)

Marek Woloszyn Marek.Woloszyn at comp-css.pl
Thu Jul 10 07:04:26 UTC 2008

Hi All,

We have FreeBSD 6.3 running on our Freescale MPC8349 board (e300 core).
But, unfortunately, it is not stable and we don't know what to do now.

We have added several things to FreeBSD 6.3 to make it work on our board:
1. Some workarounds for OpenBIOS.
2. IMISS, DLMISS and DSMISS exceptions handlers in trap_subr.S.
3. Other hardware dependent stuff.

We have noticed that there were some errors in pmap:
1. Unnecessary ptegidx shift in pmap_pte_insert function (already fixed in 7.0).
2. Hash table overflows when the system works with high load - caused by
non-uniform PTE entries distribution in the hash table.

Unfortunately we still have problems with the system. We experience random processes
crashes when the system is starting. It happens approximately once for 20 boots.
If the system does not crash at the startup, everything works fine.
We do not know where to look for the solution: pmap? vm?

Could you help us? Any suggestions were to start or something else we could do?
Do you plan to work with e300 and e600 cores? And if so, when do you plan to implement
IMISS, DLMISS and DSMISS exceptions handlers? Our might not work properly.

Kind regards,
Marek Wołoszyn, Marcin Ligenza, Konrad Karpowicz