Success on G4 XServe

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Tue Jan 22 11:44:51 PST 2008

Hi Kevin,

> 1) Very strange, very rare but specific problems with the USB keyboard.

  This may be a generic USB problem: there have been a few similar
reports on x86 platforms.

> 2) Some acd errors get spit out on boot, but the cd still works fine:

  I noticed this appearing at some point during the 7.0 beta's. It's
GEOM probing how large the media is. I'll investigate.

> 3) The onboard "gem" ethernet interface doesn't seem to work right.

  I'll let Pyun YongHyeon take care of this one.

> 4) ZFS doesn't seem to be getting built... Is it x86 only?

  It/s x86/amd64 for FreeBSD, though it runs on 32-bit big-endian sparc
on Solaris so it's probably a matter of getting it to build. However, I
doubt there is enough kernel virtual address space on FreeBSd/ppc for it
to work effectively (512Mb).

> 5) No SMP support yet, but I can't complain too much. :)

  I know Marcel has a dual G4 Xserve and was looking into getting it going.

> 6) Running bison on here seems to produce incorrect output when building
> mysql's parser.
> The bison output of the parser built on a ppc system doesn't match
> what's built on x86.

  One thing to look at here is any build warnings in the bison port on
ppc. Anything to do with signed/unsigned chars, e.g. warnings about
comparisons always succeeding, may be the issue.

later,

Peter.