Best way to boot / install a mac?

David Frascone frasconebulk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 07:40:42 PST 2008

I think I'm becoming an expert on installing BSD on macs now . . . I've done
it many times :)

But, I would like some advice from those who are also doing it:

1) Is there any alternative to 4-fingering the boot?  Also, why not wipe all
partitions and boot from TFTP to get the loader?  Would that work?

i.e. boot enet:,loader -- and then let loader somehow find the kernel /
filesystems on the disk?

2) If you don't care about OS X, is there any alternative way to partition
the disk?  My powermac does not have a DVD drive in it, so I have to plug in
a PC drive to boot off of my OS X dvd.  I'd prefer to repartition more
natively -- even if it means getting the loader via TFTP.

Let me know what you think!

-Dave