Xorg can't find my graphics card

Ross Gohlke ross at grinz.com
Sun Jan 13 09:07:04 PST 2008

> BTW, in case you dont know 'pciconf -lv | grep -B 4 VGA' will report
what kind of video card you have.

I didn't know that trick! Here are the results for the curious:
# pciconf -lv | grep -B 4 VGA
vgapci0 at pci0:0:16:0:    class=0x030000 card=0xa5b80208 chip=0x011010de
rev=0xa1 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Nvidia Corp'
    device     = 'NV11 GeForce2 MX / MX 400'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA

>> (WW) xf86EnableIO 5
>> (II) xf86EnableIO: ffffffff
>> (WW) Can't map IO space!
>
> Aha, Here is a clue.
> Try 'sysctl hw.ofwfb.relax_mmap=1' before you use X, Xorg or startx. All
that from an earlier thread[1] on this mailing list.

> http://groups.google.com/group/lucky.freebsd.ppc/browse_thread/thread/f0c48b804f6e4026/3b894d8be1fe7a35?lnk=st&q=xorg-server+1.4_2%2C1+fails+on+RELENG_7#3b894d8be1fe7a35
I did search the archives, but not hard enough I guess.

# sysctl hw.ofwfb.relax_mmap=1
hw.ofwfb.relax_mmap: 0 -> 1

This did fix my installation, I can't believe it!

I returned to the FreeBSD documentation and completed the steps, resulting
in a final /usr/local/etc/xorg.conf. I did find out that you cannot have
ANY xorg.conf file (regardless of actual name) in /etc or /usr/local/etc
when you first run #X -configure

I also learned that if #startx doesn't run, you should troubleshoot that
before running #X or #xorgconfig.

I may have more questions, but for now I'm giddy! Thanks for the friendly
help!

Ross