Half-dead G4

Justin Hibbits jrh29 at alumni.cwru.edu
Tue Jan 1 09:39:58 PST 2008

On Tuesday 01 January 2008 11:35:51 Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:41:30 -0500
>
> Justin Hibbits <jrh29 at alumni.cwru.edu> wrote:
> > I still don't get the chime now.  Is there any other test I can
> > perform to narrow down the cause, and fix this problem?
>
> Have you tried reseating (take out and put back in again) all the plugs?
> Both power and data cables, on motherboard, hard drives and whatnot.

I've reseated all data cables.  Haven't reseated the motherboard power cable,
but I've reseated the hard drive power cable, and can't quite figure out how
to remove the CD-ROM drive power cable, as it's enclosed.  I've tried
removing the hard drive and CD-ROM drive data cable connections from the
motherboard, but that didn't help.  I'll try pulling out everything, even the
CPU, and see what I can come up with.  I was hoping removing the battery and
resetting the PMU would do the trick, but that failed as well.

Am I right in assuming that because holding the mouse button ejects the CD-ROM
tray, the CPU is functioning because it has to go into openfirmware?

- Justin