Half-dead G4

Justin Hibbits jrh29 at alumni.cwru.edu
Tue Jan 1 06:36:53 PST 2008

Hi folks,

Maybe someone could help me with this problem:  I recently purchased a 1.25GHz
PowerMac G4 on eBay, and it worked perfectly fine.  However, after loading
FreeBSD on it, and running it for a couple weeks, it no longer boots.
HOWEVER, I can still hold down the mouse button and the CD ejects, so I'm
assuming it must be reaching some part of OpenFirmware, it just doesn't POST
(I don't hear the chime).  I've tried ripping out a couple RAM sticks,
reseating the video card, resetting the PMU, and one time I did manage to get
the chime, without the video card in there, but even pulling the card out
again I still don't get the chime now.  Is there any other test I can perform
to narrow down the cause, and fix this problem?

Thanks,

Justin