BMAC Ethernet Driver

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Wed Apr 30 17:16:00 UTC 2008

Hi Nathan,

> I'm trying to figure out where to put the files. There are a lot of
> sparc64 (and i386) specific drivers in /sys/dev, but SoC peripherals
> tend to end up in an arch-specific location. For powermac hardware, we
> seem to have a mix (UART driver in /sys/dev, built-in ATA in powermac).
> Unless someone tells me otherwise, I will put the if_bm* stuff in powermac.

  I was mistaken in putting the ATA stuff (and others) into powermac/.
It makes it a tad more difficult to build modules, manpages etc. There's
plenty of precedent for single-arch drivers going into dev/. It also
makes it easier for folk to find things when they are doing changes that
sweep the tree, such as modifying a field in the ifnet struct.

  I vote for it to go into dev/.

later,

Peter.