kernel stacks [eas: Re: G5 Bridge-mode MMU]

Rafal Jaworowski raj at semihalf.com
Tue Apr 15 18:30:22 UTC 2008

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>>> Related: how hard would it be to map the kernel above 2G and
>>> eliminate the SR swap in the exception handlers (but do it on
>>> context switches)?
>>
>> You would have to eliminate the 1:1 mapping. I know this was done in
>> the bookE port, and it is painful to have two kernel ABIs.
>>
>> How about the corollary: how hard is it to get the bookE port to use a
>> separate address space for the kernel ?
>
> Probably not too hard.
>
> We (i.e. Juniper) discussed this with Semihalf and for Juniper the
> single address space implementation was better, even though Semihalf
> started with the split address space.

Yeah, in the original design we considered separate address spaces, but after
discussions we went for the single AS, which apparently is simpler and cheaper
(no need for any additional temporary mappings in copyin/out, exceptions and
similar), but imposes limitations on the I/O ranges and KVA. So maybe with the
upcoming more powerful BookE systems, with lots of RAM etc. it would be time
for re-considering this, but I don't have any code from back then as the idea
died pretty quickly, before main development happened.

Rafal