BMAC Ethernet Driver

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Wed Apr 9 15:46:06 UTC 2008

On Apr 8, 2008, at 11:43 PM, Peter Grehan wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
>
>> Apple PMU and SMU devices, probably among others, use macio gpio
>> lines for interrupts instead of the IRQs listed in the OF
>> interrupts property. These lines aren't children of the devices,
>> and so their interrupts are not associated with them by the regular
>> probes.
>> Is the correct way to handle this:
>> b) Having a macgpio device like NetBSD has that collects these and
>> forwards them to the appropriate handlers?
>
> This would get my vote. I would think the gpio device would register
> itself, perhaps with it's macio parent, and clients would access it
> through kobj methods. These would include interrupt forwarding, and
> GPIO toggling.

On the MPC85xxCDS there's a second PIC. The way I'm approaching
it now is to have the interrupt infrastructure work with the
second PIC, but it seems that we just need to make it a bit
more generic: have the interrupt intrastructure work with
multiple PICs, possibly nested. A gpio driver could register
itself as a PIC and all it needs to do is implement the PIC
KOBJ interface.

Would that work?

--
Marcel Moolenaar