BMAC Ethernet Driver

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Wed Apr 9 06:44:54 UTC 2008

Hi Nathan,

> Apple PMU and SMU devices, probably among others, use macio gpio lines
> for interrupts instead of the IRQs listed in the OF interrupts property.
> These lines aren't children of the devices, and so their interrupts are
> not associated with them by the regular probes.
>
> Is the correct way to handle this:
> b) Having a macgpio device like NetBSD has that collects these and
> forwards them to the appropriate handlers?

  This would get my vote. I would think the gpio device would register
itself, perhaps with it's macio parent, and clients would access it
through kobj methods. These would include interrupt forwarding, and GPIO
toggling.

  How does the SMU use the GPIO's ? Just toggling ?

> This would involve the gpio device and remote interrupt handler
> knowing about one another.

  Hopefully it is a one-way path with the gpio device knowing nothing
about the users that call it.

later,

Peter.