HowTo: Install freebsd-ppc on a g4 mac mini?

Robin Stevens voltechs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 08:52:45 PST 2007

Oliver Lietz-6 wrote:

> Create a boot.tbxi file, see below (without #s). Copy the loader from your
> FreeBSD install CD and the boot.tbxi to your HFS+ partition.
> Reboot the Mini and install FreebBSD from CD, create new file systems with
> sysinstall on your UFS partitions. Finish setup and reboot.

The only part I keep getting confused about is this. How do you copy the
loader from the FreeBSD install CD to the HFS+ partition? I can't access the
mac once I start installing. I mean, I can't drop down into a shell and copy
the files off the CD, because the disks aren't mounted. Could someone detail
this step a bit more? I think this is where I'm getting hung up.

Also, what if the mac is too old to understand Target mode? Holding "T" down
on boot doesn't do anything other than give me a big O with a \ through it.
Grey like the Apple logo. I'm sorry I need so much hand holding :(

Thanks!

-- Robin