Xfce4

carlos duarte philipkthompson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 20:00:08 UTC 2007

Don and/or Mila:

PRINT THIS OUT!

first add xfce:

sudo pkg_add -r xfce4

onto the xorg configuration (this automatically creates an optimized
x11 configuration file for you):

sudo Xorg -configure

copy said file from your home directory to x11's directory

sudo cp /home/your_account_name_goes_here/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

then, to get rid of the annoying "bad display name" error (it will
come up, trust me), open the "hosts" file like this this:

sudo edit /etc/hosts

there you'll see only two uncommented lines, change the second one from

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.my.domain

for something like

127.0.0.1 localhost hackme.thelastdomainnameleft.comunist <--- your
domain goes here

save, of course (the "menu" pops up by pressing "esc" (escape), from
meat memory: you go "exit" then "save changes")

to tell the x server to launch xfce the next time x is started, simply
type this:

echo "/usr/local/bin/startxfce4" > ~/.xinitrc

then

startx

my blog's at http://tijuanabsd.blogspot.com/