Boot from hd on B&W G3

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 28 20:06:29 UTC 2007

Hi Soeren,

>>  Meant: does the hd:10 partition start at > 8Gb into the drive ..
>
> It doesn't there is a bunch of omb partitions and 9 is 128mb (using that for
> swap)

   Ok.

> It loads the kernel from the hd it seems .. the |/-\| goes faster than when it
> boot from cd.
> I have tried the ata_dma thing with out any luck.
> Here is the message i get:
> /boot/kernel/kernel data=0x3c209c+0x98c34 syms=[0x4+0x419c0+0x4+0x522b4]
> DEFAULT CATCH!, code=900 at %SSR0:ff818d70 %SSR1:0000b030
>
> Hope that gives a hint, btw i presume that the G3 B&W is a rev 2, i can
> try a rev 1 at some point (have both models).

  The loader is still executing at this point. And it does ring a bell,
I remember seeing something like that when I did have a B&W G3 but made
no progress on working out what was going on.

  An ugly, ugly, ugly workaround is to boot the kernel from the CDROM,
but mount root from hard drive. From memory that would work when ATA DMA
was disabled.

later,

Peter.