xorg-server build hack

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Fri Jan 26 03:25:13 UTC 2007

I built the xorg-server port and had the same issue as has been reported
by a number of people;

"dlopen: /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libfb.so: Unsupported relocation type 6
in non-PLT relocations"

  Turns out this is due to having the Xorg modules statically linking
against libgcc, which contains non-PIC relocations. Also, libgcc may not
be being built correctly since I don't think it should end up having any
unresolved functions, even within itself.

  Regardless, I manually fixed the problem by dropping down into the
Xorg build area for libfb.so

  cd work/xc/programs/Xserver/fb

  editing Makefile to change libgcc to libgcc_pic:

POSTNOSTDLIB = -Wl,-Bstatic -lgcc_pic -Wl,-Bdynamic

  forcing a rebuild by deleting libfb.so

rm libfb.so ; gmake

  and then copying the newly built libfb.so to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/

  The Radeon driver still isn't working but at least there's snow on the
screen :)

later,

Peter.