Fastest PowerPC supproted by FreeBSD

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Fri Dec 28 00:05:35 PST 2007

> Does anybody have any good recommendations for the fastest PowerPC
> based MAC that FreeBSD will run on?  How about the one with the
> biggest supported memory?

  G5's would be best but I've never gotten around to putting in support
for them.

  The G4 tops out below 2GHz. I would recommend the last G4 Powerbooks -
they have a USB keyboard. The last G4 Power Macs are probably good as
well, and can usually be optioned up with RAM.

  The Apple hardware layout has a 2 GB restriction on mem size (for
32-bit CPUs).

later,

Peter.