xorg-server 1.4_2,1 fails on RELENG_7

Justin Hibbits jrh29 at alumni.cwru.edu
Tue Dec 18 19:05:43 PST 2007

On Tuesday 18 December 2007 21:54:40 Justin Hibbits wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 December 2007 21:01:05 Peter Grehan wrote:
> > Hi Justin,
> >
> > > Now that I've got it up and running, I've noticed a couple other
> > > issues: Exiting out of X kills the video, setting the monitor to an
> > > "out of range sync".  That part I can deal with, as I can still go back
> > > into X.
> >
> >   Nvidia ? I don't know that mode-switching has ever worked too well
> > with that driver. Linux does it in the kernel and not in the server, so
> > the codepath isn't really exercised much.
>
> ATI Radeon 9000.  Like I said, not a big deal.
>
> > > The other issue, which is rather annoying, is that the mouse cursor
> > > seems to be cut in half, with each half flipped over the Y axis.  Also,
> > > probably linked to this, remote X programs don't display correctly, as
> > > though the color pallette has been reversed.  Is this an endian issue?
> > > Does it occur on anyone elses machine?
> >
> >   Either an endian or signed/unsigned char issue. Or you using a
> > hardware cursor ? Changing to software (or vice versa) might help. What
> > display depth are you using ?
> >
> > later,
> >
> > Peter.
>
> I tried hardware and software cursor, and there was no change.  Also tried
> Option "NoAccel" "true".  Using 24-bit and 16-bit color depths.  I'm not
> sure what other combinations would work.
>
> - Justin

I stand corrected.  In a last-ditch effort before going to bed, I retried
combinations.  Miraculously using "SWCursor" works now, and I don't know how,
as I checked and double checked before sending the email.  The color issue is
still present, and I think that's an endian issue, since it's being drawn on
an x86 (X forwarding of konqueror).

- Justin