On-disk format of UFS1, UFS2 for firmware

Rink Springer rink at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 20 15:50:30 UTC 2006

Hi,

> > I was wondering where the best place to ask was to find out any documentation
> > on the on-disk format of UFS1 and UFS2 (barring the FreeBSD source tree, I have
> > that already).
> >
> > We want to implement it in firmware to ease booting FreeBSD and NetBSD and so on
> > for Pegasos/EFIKA/OSW and so on. The firmware already supports BSD disk slices
> > and "original" FFS so we have a basic framework to start from.
> >
> > Any hints appreciated. Is there a freebsd-filesystems list or so?

There exists a filesystem list, freebsd-fs at freebsd.org. However, while
developing the FreeBSD/xbox UFS patches, I had a great help from two
sources:

- Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD operating system [book]
  This book lists most fundemental details of UFS1 and 2, which is
  quite helpful in understanding how it works.

- Boot source (/sys/boot/common/ufsread.c)
  This implementation is used by the boot code itself, and is quite
  clean and easy to understand.

Good luck!

Regards,

--
Rink P.W. Springer                                - http://rink.nu
  "Richter: Tribute? You steal men's souls, and make them your slaves!