link address

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Tue Jul 25 16:12:28 UTC 2006

Hi Aditya,

> I'm a bit confused about the link address of the kernel in
> freebsd-ppc. The linker script says its 0x00100000. However on the
> i386 it seems to be 3GB (KERNBASE).
> Does the machine independant code not assume anything about the
> location of the kernel in virtual memory?

  That's right.

  On FreeBSD/ppc, kernel text/data/bss is mapped 1:1 mainly for
simplicity - the loader's job is a lot easier, and it allows the early
part of the kernel to run with the MMU disabled if so required.

  The load address is somewhat arbirtrary but it can't be zero since
that's where vectors live, and boot loader variables are often stored
below 0x100000.

later,

Peter.