Is there any support for the Peg II PPC hardware (planned)?

Matt Sealey matt at genesi-usa.com
Wed Jan 25 00:38:58 PST 2006

We've already talked with them before and donated machines to FreeBSD PPC
maintainers (obrien was the one who had his name listed on the donations
page). Waiting for someone to add their name to the list is a little slow
though, it doesn't seem that if we shout "free hardware!" from the rooftops
that many people take notice. It is down to developer time, after all,
and not availability.

In other discussion;

I don't think booting FreeBSD on Pegasos II is really majorly different
from Mac or other OF hardware. I would be curious to know exactly what
kind of differences the developers think exist, and if they are bugs
or something very strange, we can endeavour to fix them.

We have ONE outstanding bug which definitely makes our system different
from other CHRP compliant hardware, which is disk ordering in the OF
interface. Mac starts from 1 and Pegasos starts from 0. We are implementing
a fix for this in the next firmware version and boot loaders can query
what the compatibility setting is (chrp-compatible? nvram var)

Just recently a Gentoo developer released his custom boot loader/kernel
source code for an own project he did, and we put that source plus the
beginnings of an article on PPCZone.org;

http://www.ppczone.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=445

As initial system bring-up goes, this is a great example (and all BSD
licensed). OpenFirmware is documented at the Sun playground site,
enough for all to use beyond that. Any bugs you find in there, please
say so here or in mail to me :)

We're always here to help if anything goes horribly wrong. If the
firmware interface isn't working for you, remember that we use standard
off the shelf PC parts (Via 8231 southbridge, firewire, AC97 audio
codec) that FreeBSD supports already so as long as they are big-endian
safe drivers they should Just Work (tm). We have had some delays with
the NetBSD team as they insist on using the OF interfaces for drivers,
and they found some problems (a return code in the spec they had
never seen before) which was stalling them.

--
Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com>
Manager, Genesi, Developer Relations