FreeBSD on an Efika

Rink Springer rink at FreeBSD.org
Sun Dec 17 23:04:23 PST 2006

Hi Andrew,

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 10:48:41AM +1300, Andrew Turner wrote:
> I have been sent an Efika[1] board from Genesi.
>
> When booting FreeBSD on it I found it would stop before the
> printing copyright notice. The problem seems to be similar to
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ppc/2006-June/001692.html (I
> have had the same output before)
>
> After some investigation I found the kernel was stopping when it
> reached sys/kern/subr_msgbuf.c line 125 [2]. The msgbuf struct appears
> to point to an invalid address. The address of the struct comes from
> virtual_addr[3]. This indicates the virtual_addr points to an invalid
> area of memory on this device.
>
> By commenting out sys/kern/subr_prf.c line 924 [4] and using the ofw
> console I managed to get past the copyright notice. It now stopped
> later attempting to read from memory in the virtual_addr range.
>
> Has any one got any suggestions how I could fix this?
>
> Andrew
>
> [1] http://www.powerdeveloper.org/efika.php
> [2] http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/kern/subr_msgbuf.c#L125
> [3] http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/powerpc/powerpc/mmu_oea.c#L899
> [4] http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/kern/subr_prf.c#L924

Just FYI, it appears that Suleiman Souhlal (ssouhlal at FreeBSD.org) is
already working on a port, judging from
http://projects.powerdeveloper.org/projects.php?project=239

Have you tried talking to him ?

Regards,

--
Rink P.W. Springer                                - http://rink.nu
"It's you isn't it? THE BASTARD OPERATOR FROM HELL!"