7.0-CURRENT-200608 on a G4 - panic

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Wed Aug 30 06:14:50 UTC 2006

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:56:05 -0700
Peter Grehan <grehan at freebsd.org> wrote:

>   Was this with a boot by holding down the 'C' key at power up ?

Yes, it was.

>   If so, it might be possible to try a manual load. Break into Open
> Firmware and
>
> 0 > boot cd:,\boot\loader cd:0

Silly me, I should have thought of that. My only excuse is that it has
been too long since I did this :-)

Ok, so I got the -bootonly cd to boot, and start the installation.
However, there aren't any snapshot releases on FfreeBSD ftp servers out
there, only snapshot iso's.

And the -disc1 iso wouldn't boot. Suddnenly, I got the idea that I
could just swap CD's. And it worked - I could swap the cd, change
installation media, and continue the installation.
The upgrade installation completed without problems.

But when I tried to boot into my FreeBSD installation afterwards, it
complained that it could not load the kernel.
The reason was easy too see - the whole /boot/kernel directory was
missing. Thankfully, we have /boot/kernel.prev
Booting from /boot/kernel.prev/kernel worked.

Now, what is the correct way to install the missing /boot/kernel
directory from the cd?

can I just copy the /cdrom/boot/kernel directory to /boot?
Or is there another way?
--
Regards,
Torfinn