Error mounting /dev/ad1s3

David Niergarth jdnier at tds.net
Sat Oct 29 20:57:06 PDT 2005

Hi Peter,

>  The 'A' option in sysinstall doesn't work :(
>
>  It creates a BSD partition (I think) inside the slice, but the loader
> doesn't understand BSD partitions.
>
>  What you should do is just create a single '/' filesystem on your slice.

I went back and tried this. Problem now is that the DiskLabel Editor is
not letting me specify the size of the filesystem. I select my slice,
type "C" to create. I can choose either "swap" or "file system" but
whichever I pick, it automatically uses all available space, leaving
nothing for anything else.

I went ahead and created a "/" filesystem (without any swap). "/" was
initialized and files were copied from the CD. But then it complained
that it couldn't install the ports system; problems also with xorg.
Maybe my CD has some problems. I'll try ftp next time.

In any case, it appears that the DiskLabel Editor is misbehaving in
several ways.

Thanks for any other suggestions,

--David