openfirmware boot into new install...

jt james.toy at bc.edu
Thu Nov 24 00:27:39 GMT 2005

WHOAAAA!! hold your horses =3D)

command + option + O + F =3D the command sequence for OpenFirmware

sounds like you have a second harddrive and need to find the =20
openfirmware alias for this device... devalias in OF should help you =20
in determining what your second HD is on the machine

OF interacts with HFS volumes so thats the catch in all of this =20
ish...namely we cannot tell OF to look into our UFS for =20
freebsd....also your volumes are titled HFS which is apples =20
concoction of a few FS's FFS and UFS etc...are those the right =20
volumes?? something seems funky.....

once you copy this loader to the MAIN hd...presuming you have os x on =20=

there still and have the loader in the root directory of your primary =20=

HD and partition (which again must be HFS) -- you can load your =20
kernel via a command similar to

boot hd:,\loader devaliasdevice:partition in which the kernel should =20
be searched

specifically for me (with the MY alias acquired via the devalias =20
command)

0> boot hd:,\loader ultra1:5

this says boot the loader on the first harddrive in the root =20
directory (boot hd:,\loader) and then the second parameter ultra1:5 =20
tells the loader and openfirmware where to locate the kernel and =20
required boot time material

--hope that helps

-jt