7.0-snap available

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 7 09:19:31 PST 2005

On Sunday 06 November 2005 06:14 pm, Peter Grehan wrote:
> Hi Graham,
>
> > Unfortunately the Quantum Atlas on my ATTO SCSI card is not recognised,
> > so I had to rejig things to get data [oh, OK, my iTunes library ;-)] off
> > of an IDE-attached Maxtor so that I could partition that.  Did so (two
> > partitions in Darwin - disk1s3 for FreeBSD and disk1s5 for swap).  Chose
> > the automagic option in the disklabel editor - this chose to put a few
> > mounts (/, /usr, /var, swap IIRC) in ad1s3 and didn't work.  Went back
> > to disklabel editor and chose a new layout:
> > ad1s3    /    18508MB    UFS2    Y
> > ad1s5    swap    1015MB    SWAP
> >
> > However, I still get errors:
> > WARNING!  Unable to swap to /dev/ad1s5: Device busy
>
>   I think once the 'auto' option was selected, it isn't possible to roll
> back to using partitions underneath those slices. I even suspect the
> same would happen on i386.

No, it isn't.  I often do an auto to see what it sets, then delete the
selections, bump up /'s size for a test machine (lots of kernels) and then
use auto again to setup the other partitions.  I've done this for amd64 and
sparc64 recently and it worked fine.  sysinstall tries to invoke swapon on
swap partitions after it newfs's everything and it seems that swapon() is
failing, probably because GEOM thinks that something else has ad1s5 open
still.  Might be a bug in the ppc libdisk bits maybe?