7.0-snap available

Graham J Lee leeg at teaching.physics.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 6 09:58:07 PST 2005

Peter Grehan wrote:
> http://www.freebsd.org/~grehan/ppc_iso/7.0-20051105-SNAP-powerpc-disc1.iso
>
> This contains the fix for the G4 powermacs that won't boot with
> 6.0-RELEASE.

Great!  That gets me to sysinstall.

Unfortunately the Quantum Atlas on my ATTO SCSI card is not recognised,
so I had to rejig things to get data [oh, OK, my iTunes library ;-)] off
of an IDE-attached Maxtor so that I could partition that.  Did so (two
partitions in Darwin - disk1s3 for FreeBSD and disk1s5 for swap).  Chose
the automagic option in the disklabel editor - this chose to put a few
mounts (/, /usr, /var, swap IIRC) in ad1s3 and didn't work.  Went back
to disklabel editor and chose a new layout:
ad1s3	/	18508MB	UFS2	Y
ad1s5	swap	1015MB	SWAP

However, I still get errors:
WARNING!  Unable to swap to /dev/ad1s5: Device busy
Error mounting /dev/ad1s3 on /mnt : Operation not permitted
Unable to mount the root file system on /dev/ad1s3!  Giving up.

If I look at VTY2, I see:
[fsck info for /dev/ad1s3]
DEBUG: Scanning disk ad1 for root filesystem
DEBUG: Scanning disk ad1 for swap partitions
fstab: /etc/fstab:0: No such file or directory

so where to go from here...?  :)

Cheers,

Graham.
--