First boot question

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Tue Nov 1 01:35:28 PST 2005

Hi David,

> Is it possible to boot FreeBSD from an external drive (Firewire)? How
> about a second internal drive (IDE)?

  Yes and yes ! :)

> The iso_install.txt file uses the following example:
>
> 0 > boot cd:,\boot\loader hd:11
>
> "hd" appears to be a device alias for disk0. My question is how to
> specify disk1 or a Firewire drive?

  At the openfirmware prompt, issue a 'devalias' command and you'll see
what some of the device-name shortcuts are. I'd say the second IDE drive
would be 'hd1'.

  For a firewire drive, the alis is most likely

    fw/node/sbp-2/disk at 0:X

  .. where X is the partition number.

  e.g. to boot from partition 3 on the external firewire drive:

0 > boot cd:,\boot\loader fw/node/sbp-2/disk at 0:3

later,

Peter.