FreeBSD-ppc on an external hdd (Mac Mini)

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Thu Jun 30 22:41:25 GMT 2005

At 8:03 AM +1000 7/1/05, Peter Grehan wrote:
>  > Hi guys, I've just installed FreeBSD on an external hard drive.
>  > You know, I was too lazy to reformat everything, so I recycled
>  > an old 6Gig harddrive thanks to an external box. You can find
>  > a mini-guide at:
>  >
>>  http://tinyurl.com/b7s8u
>
>  Great work Dario ! I'm looking forward to the FreeSBIE/ppc
>  live CD :)

Indeed.  The more ppc users, the merrier!

I also took an external firewire drive, and used Apple's disk
utility app to create a bunch of partitions on it.  Apparently
the utility decides to create an additional tiny partition
between each partition that I actually asked it to create, which
means I ended up with a lot of partitions.  So my list includes:

Intended-Use    Partition  FreeSpace
------------    ---------  ---------
           ??    da0s9        262144 blocks   (128MB)
MacOS 10.4      da0s10     36647736 blocks (17894MB)
           ??    da0s11        17408 blocks     (8MB)
/               da0s12      3254152 blocks  (1588MB)
           ??    da0s13        17408 blocks     (8MB)
/usr            da0s14      5749760 blocks  (2807MB)
           ??    da0s15        17408 blocks     (8MB)
/usr/obj        da0s16      6798336 blocks  (3319MB)

The thing is, I actually have more partitions than that.  MacOS
sees them all, but FreeBSD only lists the first 16?  It happens
that most of the later partitions are meant for other OS's anyway,
so this isn't much of a problem for me.  Just wanted to mention it.

Also, what does sysinstall run to look at these partitions?  I
tried 'bsdlabel' to read the list of partitions, but all it would
say was:   "a -m <architecture> option must be specified"

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu