FreeBSD-ppc on an external hdd (Mac Mini)

Dario Freni saturnero at freesbie.org
Thu Jun 30 22:33:11 GMT 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 12:26:16AM +0200, Andreas Tobler wrote:
> Hi Dario,
>
> Dario Freni wrote:
>
> >Today I made my first minimal iso in ppc :) but have no cd-rw to test
> >it. Will buy a couple tomorrow. In the meantime I'm compiling some
> >apps (argh! emacs port doesn't compile). I hope to have a test iso
> >soon.
> >
> >Little update to the article. USB, sadly, works better than
> >FireWire. When booting from FireWire i'm not able to make a
> >buildworld. It exits really at *random* points with quite *random*
> >error codes (96, 120, 223...). Absolutely no problem switching to USB
> >(same box, it's a combo usb/fw external case).
>
> How much RAM does your mini have ? I ask because my albook has 1GB and I
> encountered similar failures, I also boot from fw. I replaced my fw case
> and before I limited ram to 512MB (hw.physmem=512M) and built world.
> With current sources. Then I was able to buildworld again with full 1GB.
> Well, I do not know yet what it was, the current sources or the fw case.

Well, 1Gb. I was thinking about replacing it with the original 256Mb
dimm, but I first tried switching to USB and it worked. Now I've got a
fresh current from yesterday, I'll try rebuild everything tomorrow,
booting from fw (I don't want to rebuild the world now as I need an
already built one for FreeSBIE).

Anyway, is USB2 supported? My box is attached directly to the mac
mini, but I don't see any ehci output from kernel. Anyway, it's not so
slow, I reached 7.0MB/s via scp.

--
Dario Freni (saturnero at freesbie.org)
FreeSBIE developer (http://www.freesbie.org)