freebsd 6.0 beta1/ppc on emac 1250mhz: install atempt report

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Sat Jul 30 11:19:58 GMT 2005

> in a resent installation atampt i have now found a new problem:
> the init script can execute getty becose it doesnt finds the any of the
> virtual teminal /dev entry
>
> example:
> "init:cant exec getty '/usr/libexecgetty' for prot /dev/ttyvX no such
> file or dicrectory"
>
> and keeps looping in attempt to find them...

  Would you be able to boot into single-user mode (boot -s at the loader
prompt) and 'ls /dev' when you get to the root prompt ?

  The syscons ttyv* entries are createc by devfs, so the only reason I
could think that they don't show up is that there is no /dev directory
on the root filesystem. But, in that case, init bombs out very early
because it can't open /dev/console.

later,

Peter.