refrence machine

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Wed Jul 20 00:40:24 GMT 2005

> Ok, it's not an insurmountable task.  If someone can identify a G4 with
> a known working serial console implimentation, I can adapt a standard
> ATX rack case to hold/power it.  I'm assuming firewire/ADC won't be
> needed which eliminates the need for an external wall wart power supply
> to bring in 24v?

  The only G4s with serial consoles are the XServes. You may be able to
hack one up similar to what the commercial serial port adapters have
done (search for GPort or Stealth serial port).

> Do the G3 imacs have working serial consoles?  Those are cheap and
> redily available, as are G3 class laptops.

  The only G3 with a built-in serial port is the infamous Beige, which
isn't supported due to an old, buggy OpenFirmware implementation.

later,

Peter.