Mac Mini panic

Sean Welch Sean_Welch at alum.wofford.org
Tue Jul 12 23:13:45 GMT 2005

On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 03:43:09PM +1000, Peter Grehan wrote:
> >I seem able to freeze the system fairly regularly -- it may just be
> >starting and restarting X but I've not yet been able to isolate the
> >cause.  (X won't start every time -- it doesn't always figure out that
> >some modes can run even though I've hardcoded some into the xorg.conf)
> >Seems to drop to the debugger about once every 4 times or so.
> >
> >I'm delighted with the progress of the ppc port -- let me know if
> >there is anything else I can test specifically.
>
>  I'm always interested in a backtrace if you can get one from the
> debugger, or even the routine where the panic/fatal trap occurs.
> Other than that, I'd say just run as much as you can and report how it
> goes, good bad or otherwise.
>
>  Thanks for having the patience to jump through the Xorg hoops !

Hey, absolutely!  I'm enjoying myself.  :-)

Well, I've managed to get it to die in front of me this time.
You'll have to tell me how to get it do do a backtrace -- I'm
leaving it at the debugger prompt expressly for that purpose.
Transcribed by hand below is what I see leading up to the crash.  I
was on a fresh boot trying to do a make clean under x11-wm/xfce4.  I
had built it on the previous boot and froze it remotely when I tried
to do a make clean (xfce4 works great -- no changes to the port).
Here is what I see (first two sets repeated multiple times, xxxxx
represents various lba, ad0s5 is root):

ad0: timeout waiting to issue command
ad0: error issueing WRITE_MUL command
ad0: timeout waiting to issue command
ad0: error issueing WRITE_MUL command
ad0: timeout waiting to issue command
ad0: error issueing WRITE_MUL command
ad0: timeout waiting to issue command
ad0: error issueing WRITE_MUL command
swap_pager: I/O error - pageout failed: blkno xxxxx, size 65536, error 5
swap_pager: I/O error - pageout failed: blkno xxxxx, size 65536, error 5
swap_pager: I/O error - pageout failed: blkno xxxxx, size 65536, error 5
swap_pager: I/O error - pageout failed: blkno xxxxx, size 65536, error 5
g_vfs_done():ad0s5[WRITE(offset=6160384, length=2048)]error = 5
init died (signal 4, exit 0)
panic: Going nowhere without my init!
KDB: enter: panic
[thread pid 1 tid 100006 ]
Stopped at       0x25b5f8:    lwz    r11, r1, 0x0
db>

What next?  Can I even do a dump if the ata driver is the culprit?

Sean