Mac Mini and Xorg

Sean Welch Sean_Welch at alum.wofford.org
Sun Jul 10 04:56:53 GMT 2005

I've succeeded in getting X to run.  I've also seen the dimness you
mentioned -- seems to be a reinitialization issue.  I've got a
combined patch (your changes plus the mods already in the port) but
I'm trying to get some more ifdef's into place so that only ppc gets
the parts that aren't currently ifdef'ed.

Some things I've noticed -- I had to comment out the ttya and ttyb
entries in /etc/ttys because getty was going nuts trying to initialize
them.  It kept complaining they don't exist in /dev (even though they
do).  Even so, I get a string of:

ofwfb_ioctl: unimplemented

at boot.  In addition, though /boot/kernel/sound.ko exists, kldload
sound gives the following:

kldload: can't load sound: No such file or directory

while the console shows:

link_elf: symbol isa_dmastart undefined

I didn't really expect it to work but I did think it would load -- did
you know about the missing symbol already?

I tried dpms and it does work under X just fine.

I seem able to freeze the system fairly regularly -- it may just be
starting and restarting X but I've not yet been able to isolate the
cause.  (X won't start every time -- it doesn't always figure out that
some modes can run even though I've hardcoded some into the xorg.conf)
Seems to drop to the debugger about once every 4 times or so.

I'm delighted with the progress of the ppc port -- let me know if
there is anything else I can test specifically.

Sean