FreeBSD-ppc on an external hdd (Mac Mini)

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Fri Jul 1 03:10:39 GMT 2005

At 12:16 AM +0200 7/1/05, Dario Freni wrote:

>Little update to the article. USB, sadly, works better than
>FireWire. When booting from FireWire i'm not able to make a
>buildworld. It exits really at *random* points with quite *random*
>error codes (96, 120, 223...). Absolutely no problem switching
>to USB (same box, it's a combo usb/fw external case).

Interesting.  I've done buildworld/buildkernel with /usr/obj on
an external firewire drive, and it worked fine.  I did it hoping
to see a performance boost by having /usr/obj on the faster
external firewire drive, while /usr/src was still on the slow
internal drive of the Mac-mini.  There was no significant speed
difference, but everything seemed to work perfectly fine.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu