FreeBSD-ppc on an external hdd (Mac Mini)

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Fri Jul 1 01:30:32 GMT 2005

At 12:47 AM +0200 7/1/05, Dario Freni wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 30, 2005, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  >
>>  I also took an external firewire drive, and used Apple's disk
>>  utility app to create a bunch of partitions on it.  Apparently
>>  the utility decides to create an additional tiny partition
>>  between each partition that I actually asked it to create, which
>>  means I ended up with a lot of partitions.  So my list includes:
>>
>>  Intended-Use    Partition  FreeSpace
>>  ------------    ---------  ---------
>>            ??    da0s9        262144 blocks   (128MB)
>  > MacOS 10.4      da0s10     36647736 blocks (17894MB)
>>            ??    da0s11        17408 blocks     (8MB)
>>  /               da0s12      3254152 blocks  (1588MB)
>>            ??    da0s13        17408 blocks     (8MB)
>>  /usr            da0s14      5749760 blocks  (2807MB)
>>            ??    da0s15        17408 blocks     (8MB)
>>  /usr/obj        da0s16      6798336 blocks  (3319MB)
>
>Why are they starting from 9?

Because I skipped over the first eight...  :-)   I think I have
some extra partitions before these because I said "install drivers
for MacOS 9".  This external hard disk is still (occasionally)
moved between machines, so that seemed like a good idea at the
time.  But now that I think of it, I believe that just last week
I switched over the last person on campus who was still running
MacOS 9 campus...

When I run the DiskUtility.app on MacOS 10, that partition on
da0s10 is the first partition which the application displays.
I wonder if those small partitions include meta-data for the
real partitions which follow them.

>  > Also, what does sysinstall run to look at these partitions?
>  > I tried 'bsdlabel' to read the list of partitions, but all
>  > it would say was:   "a -m <architecture> option must be
>  > specified"
>
>...and -m powerpc says "not supported"

Yeah.  I did a 'strings' on the executable, and it didn't seem
to include anything like 'ppc' or 'powerpc'.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu