Mac mini and FreeBSD - buildworld

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 26 19:56:04 PST 2005

Hi Garance,

> Heh.  Give me a few weeks of asking dumb questions, and you'll
> probably be avoiding your in-box...

  I'm happy to have > 0 users, so ask all the questions you want :)

> I tried to do a buildworld of the latest /usr/src, and that dies
> while trying to build libasn1 in kerberos5, with an
>    'Abort trap (core dumped)'
> in cc.  However, I was able to do a complete build/install cycle
> if I started with the snapshot of /usr/src which was installed by
> the CD.  It looks like that /usr/src might include a few important
> changes which haven't been committed yet.

  Yes: the main one is the toolchain patch:

   www.freebsd.org/~grehan/sysv4.h.diff

  Half of this patch is in gcc source: not sure what's happening with
the __PIC__ portion since I haven't been able to raise David O'Brien
on that matter.

  There's another one for module support:

   www.freebsd.org/~grehan/rs6000.c.diff

  .. but that won't stop a successful build.

  There's a minor sysinstall diff, but no major ones I can think of.

> Also, I was wondering if there's a way to "window-back" on a
> console session, like one does on i386 using scroll-lock.

  Do you know if the USB kbd code translates F14 to scroll-lock ?
If it does, then there should be no reason why this wouldn't work.
I'll look into it.

> Hmm.  And after running this for a few days without any problem,
> including a few buildworld attempts, the machine just locked up
> on me.  Is there some key sequence which would trigger a dump?
> Would a dump be of any use?  (the hang might be due to something
> I did.  I was typing at the time, and I may have hit some
> combination of the option or command-key with some other keys,
> when I meant to be hitting the control-key with them).

  If it doesn't respond to outside pings, I'd say it's hung. There's
no easy way to generate an NMI on Mac platforms, so it's time to
reboot :(

later,

Peter.