Mac mini and FreeBSD - buildworld

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Wed Jan 26 19:36:22 PST 2005

At 3:46 PM +1000 1/24/05, Peter Grehan wrote:
>>Nothing too exciting.  Now that I know I *can* install it, I
>>might re-parition the whole thing to have multiple FreeBSD
>>installs.  That has saved me several times when developing on
>>i386 and sparc64!  And I want to set up some of my "standard
>>programs" (which doesn't include X...), like bash, rsync, and
>>subversion.  ...
>
>  I'm very happy to see it getting some normal use :)

Heh.  Give me a few weeks of asking dumb questions, and you'll
probably be avoiding your in-box...

I built many of the ports I was interested in, and that seemed to
go fairly well.

I tried to do a buildworld of the latest /usr/src, and that dies
while trying to build libasn1 in kerberos5, with an
    'Abort trap (core dumped)'
in cc.  However, I was able to do a complete build/install cycle
if I started with the snapshot of /usr/src which was installed by
the CD.  It looks like that /usr/src might include a few important
changes which haven't been committed yet.

Also, I was wondering if there's a way to "window-back" on a
console session, like one does on i386 using scroll-lock.

Hmm.  And after running this for a few days without any problem,
including a few buildworld attempts, the machine just locked up
on me.  Is there some key sequence which would trigger a dump?
Would a dump be of any use?  (the hang might be due to something
I did.  I was typing at the time, and I may have hit some
combination of the option or command-key with some other keys,
when I meant to be hitting the control-key with them).

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu