Mac mini and FreeBSD - some initial details

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sun Jan 23 22:00:36 PST 2005

At 3:42 PM +1000 1/24/05, Peter Grehan wrote:
>Hi Garance,

Hello again.. thanks for all the quick replies!  :-)

>>I couldn't get the second one to work for me.  In my case, I have
>>a MacOS 10 install on hd #9, with freebsd on hd #5.  The following
>>did seem to work:
>>
>>            0 > boot hd:9,loader hd:5
>
>  The "hd:" without a partition number signifies the default bootable
>partition on the drive.  The value can be seen at the OFW prompt with
>
>0 > printenv boot-volume

Mine seems to be partition 3.  I do have another install of MacOS
on partition 3, but the default-one (as set by "Startup Disk") was
pointing at the one on partition 9.  It is probably true that I
installed MacOS on partition 3 before partition 9.

Note that partition 3 is a stripped-down install, so maybe it's
missing something.  partition 9 is the full-install of MacOS.

>  .. and the contents found with:
>
>0 > dir hd:

This tells me "dir hd: DIR method failed"

Mine is:    pci2/ata-6 at D/@0:9,\\:tbxi  hd:,\\:tbxi

>>I have tried to come up with some kind of trick where I could select
>>a MacOS 10 partition, and have the machine boot up the freebsd boot
>>loader instead of the MacOS 10 kernel, but none of those tricks have
>>worked...
>
>  I haven't mucked around too much with this, but I suspect you need
>a Forth script similar to src/release/powerpc/boot.tbxi which would
>live on the default boot partition. Then, you could setenv the
>'boot-command' variable in OpenFirmware to boot with this file.

Hmm.  Is there somewhere which would document what openfirmware
commands I might have to play with?

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu