Mac mini and FreeBSD - dmesg.boot!

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 23 20:34:43 PST 2005

> I wrote up most of the tricks I had to use in a separate message,
> with the subject of "Mac mini and FreeBSD - some initial details"...

  Got that one - our messages crossed. So:

 >Well, I did get it going.  There are a lot of things that I am
 >tempted to do with it,

  Let us in on your plans! At the moment I'm trying to get the
latest Xorg server port running.

 >I made a point of picking different sizes for the various partitions
 >that I created, so that it would be easy to recognize which-was-which
 >when I would see them in disklabel during the install process.

  That is a bit of a problem. I might try and print the partition type
and maybe the name in the sysinstall menu so it's easier to figure
out what's going on.

 >Apparently the CD does
 >not have the ports collection on it, so you might as well say 'no'
 >there.

  I'll make sure that's on the next miniinst ISO.

 >    gem0     - <unknown interface type>

  That will be fixed :)

> Oh, one more thing I noticed.  When I reboot back into MacOS 10, it
> still shows the two freebsd partitions, and it claims they are
> formatted as "MacOS Extended (Journalled)".  I am *pretty* sure
> that I originally had DiskUtility format them as "Unix File System",
> so I find that a little odd.  However, I did repartition the disk
> several times, so maybe I created those partitions as HFS+ on my
> final time.

  It shouldn't matter too much. FreeBSD ignores the partition type
and doesn't change it.

later,

Peter.