PPC miniinst.iso available [ & Mini-Mac? ]

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Thu Jan 13 12:20:53 PST 2005

At 3:01 PM +1000 12/31/04, Peter Grehan wrote:
>Hi Garance,
>
>>I downloaded this okay, but if I try to use the image to burn a
>>CD using 'Disk Utility' on my Mac (running 10.3.6), the program
>>immediately crashes.  It crashes even before it asks me to insert
>>a blank CD.  Attempts to burn other ISO images do not have this
>>problem, including the previous  ppc-081304.iso  image.
>
>  I haven't used Disk Utility - FreeBSD's burncd was used when
>I did some testing. I have to confess: burncd causes an ATA panic
>on the eMac, so I burnt on i386. Another bug to chase down :)

After seeing the advice from Lucas Holt, I bought a copy of Toast.
Using Toast I was able to burn the ISO without any trouble.

The ISO still does not work on my PowerMac G4 (AGP graphics),
500 MHz, but it is quite likely that the problem is in the
hardware.  I tried the ISO on my G4 cube at home, and it looks
like it would work great on that (but I'm still using that cube
so I did not try to install on it).

It looks like Apple's new mini-Mac machine would be a fine replacement
for my G4 cube, so I'll probably buy one of those and then I could
install FreeBSD on my cube.

However, I was also wondering if FreeBSD would run in the mini-Mac
itself.  It has a 1.25-GHz or 1.42-GHz G4, ATA hard disk, 10/100
ethernet, and a Radeon 9200 video card.  What are the chances that
FreeBSD/PPC will work on it?

I suppose I should wait until they are at least shipping before I
asked, but I wanted to get the question in early...    :-)

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu