PPC miniinst.iso available

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 2 02:19:52 GMT 2005

Hi Phil,

  Is this your G4/400 ?

>>	I tried creating a partition within s3 (the ~ 4GB slice),
>>	but it didn't ask me for size and just allocated everything to
>>	the partition (/).  I tried auto partition as well, and that seemed
>>	ok until I tried either to start write (W) the changes or run
>>	the install - then it failed saying it couldn't mount ad1s3 on /
>>	(which it shouldn't try to do, it should be mounting ad1s3a).

  There certainly needs to be some changes to the disk editor :)

  WRT partitions, do you think it would be useful to have them within a
slice ? I've been thinking about allowing GPT partitions within a
slice for a while, although it does complicate the loader a bit.

> 	Howto:
>
> 	- create a number of partitions from within Disk Utility (I used
> 	HFS, but anything will do), one for each FreeBSD partitions required.
>
> 	These showed up as ad1s10,11,12 and 13.
>
> 	For booting (this is the secondary disk) I used:
>
> 	boot cd:,\boot\loader ultra1:10
>
> 	(ultra0 and ultra1 are devaliases for first IDE disk and second IDE
> 	in OpenFirmware, as the OF command 'devalias' will tell you).

  There's also ide0 and ide1 aliases, at least on my Powerbook.

later,

Peter.