Latest kernel doesn't work on PPC?

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sat Apr 16 17:26:55 PDT 2005

At 1:13 AM +0200 4/17/05, Phil Regnauld wrote:
>Garance A Drosihn (drosih) writes:
>>  But it seems that CD (the miniinst.iso from Dec 29th) doesn't have the
>>  mount command?  It has mount_nfs and mount_msdosfs, but those won't
>  > do much for me!  Am I missing something obvious here?
>  >
>>  Is there any simple way for me to get back to the kernel which had
>  > been working for me?
>
>	You can ifconfig the interface then nfs mount a filesystem on
>	another box on which you have placed a recovery kernel.

I am afraid that I don't understand how this would work.

I have a disk partition /dev/ad0s5 on my-ppc machine.  It is
usually '/' when I boot up.  But apparently I can not mount that
partition if I have booted up off the miniinst.iso CD.

While I have other freebsd machines, they are not PowerPC.  I can
not nfs-export /dev/ad0s5 to any of those other machines, since I
can not mount it on the original machine.  I *could* nfs-mount
partitions *from* those other machines on my-ppc machine, but what
good does that do if I have no access to the hard disk on my-ppc?
Even if I had a recovery kernel on some other machine, I seem to
have no access to /dev/ad0s5, so I have no way to replace the kernel
which isn't working.

If I *did* have a way to access (and modify) /dev/ad0s5, then I
could just use the kernel.old which is on there.  I don't need a
kernel from any other machine.

[note: this is not a crisis for me.  I am just curious what the
quickest way out of this would be]

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu