Latest kernel doesn't work on PPC?

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sat Apr 16 15:17:55 PDT 2005

Well, I rebuilt my PPC system for the first time in a few weeks.  I
rebooted to the new kernel, and ... it doesn't work.  It can't find
my root filesystem.  It tries to mount root from /dev/ad0s5 (which
is correct for my system), but fails.  So, I get the
mountroot>
prompt.  If I type '?' to that, it says "List of GEOM managed disk
devices:", but it shows no devices in that list.

I think at this point I'm stuck, needing to re-install.  I still
see that bug in the loader, where trying to load any kernel will
cause that kernel to panic immediately at startup.  So I can't
    unload
    load /boot/kernel.old/kernel
in the boot loader.

I tried booting up off the CD-ROM I used for my original install.  My
idea was that I would start an emergency holographic shell, mount my
ad0s5 partition, and move /boot/kernel.old back to being /boot/kernel.
But it seems that CD (the miniinst.iso from Dec 29th) doesn't have the
mount command?  It has mount_nfs and mount_msdosfs, but those won't
do much for me!  Am I missing something obvious here?

Is there any simple way for me to get back to the kernel which had
been working for me?

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu