FreeBSD on Xserve ?

David Leimbach leimy2k at mac.com
Tue Sep 14 07:57:19 PDT 2004

On Sep 14, 2004, at 5:21 AM, jade at oxymail.org wrote:

> Selon Michael Clark <MClark at Nemschoff.com>:
>

> Well if the G5 doesn't work on freebie, somthing's not logic : Os X
> claims to be
> freebsd based, so how come there's no return from Apple on how to make
> a G5 work
> on a BSD system ?
> I don't understand...

Mac OS X is really not hardly anything at all like FreeBSD.  The Apple
marketing
is talking about "the experience" or something and not the technical
issues.  Unfortunately this has caused quite a bit of confusion on the
net and some of the brightest people are being duped into thinking that
Mac OS X is actually based on FreeBSD.

Many of the userland utilities are brought over from FreeBSD but I
assure you the kernel, which is mostly Mach based with BSD stuff thrown
in for filesystem and process management. [which of course needs to be
glued to the Mach primitives to work].

All pthreads in Mac OS X end up being mach_threads at the lowest level,
all BSD processes are mach_tasks.  This is nothing like FreeBSD.

It's also probably why you do not see tons of cross pollination of
FreeBSD taking things from the Darwin XNU kernel.

Once you start poking around on Mac OS X's Open Source bits you can see
it's quite different.

Dave