Booting a 2nd rev 12" powerbook (1Ghz)

peter at larkowski.net peter at larkowski.net
Tue Feb 3 08:06:20 PST 2004

I thought I was seeing the same behavior when netbooting.  It does seem
more likely to work with -v, but I have seen it not work with -v and once
it did work without -v, so now I'm not so sure what's going on.  It seems
strange that there is a gem driver problem and a cdrom driver problem
simultaneously that are giving Frank and I the same issue for running
init.

On a semi related note, what's the status of the hard drive's ide
controller?  Is it being worked on?  How different is it from other
supported controllers on previous powerbooks/ibooks?  Is it a lack of
hardware thing or just a newness of hardware thing?  Just wondering.
Thanks for your help so far.

On a somewhat less related note, my sparc kernels are booting again after
another cvsup, so I have a -current cross build machine now.  Has anyone
tested cross-building powerpc from FreeBSD/sparc64?  I know with NetBSD
there are (or were at least) certain random combinations of arches that
didn't work real well for cross building.

-p