Installing FreeBSD from CD

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Thu Dec 23 19:25:22 PST 2004

Hi Garance,

> I know the option key at startup *used* to work, but I haven't used
> this machine for much in the past 4 months (it was replaced by a new
> dual-G5).  So, I have no idea what caused option to stop working.  For
> all I know, it may have stopped working two years ago.  The option key
> does still work as expected in all other situations (after the machine
> is booted up), so it's not likely to be a broken keyboard.  But if I
> try to trigger any of the bootup-tricks which need the option key, the
> computer just freezes up.  This happens with either option key on the
> keyboard.

  If you have OSX on the box, you can issue a "nvram auto-boot\?=false"
to force OpenFirmware to be entered at boot-time. I think there's an
OS9 version of this as well - have a look at the NetBSD system disk
page, 'Advanced Options', 'Stop Boot at Open Firmware prompt'.

  http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/SystemDisk-tutorial/

> I also have one of the first-run "white iBooks" (dual-Firewire) that I
> could try FreeBSD/PPC on, but someone else has borrowed that from me
> and I might not get it back for a few weeks.

  I'm pretty sure that model works.

later,

Peter.