Darwin UFS Support?

Michael Dexter dexter at ambidexter.com
Wed Dec 15 12:54:13 PST 2004

Hello all,

My original motivation behind the question was for use with
cross-platform disk formats. Mac/Darwin UFS and FreeBSD UFS/FFS/UFS2
seem to have taken different paths long ago, as astute readers
pointed out.

For what it's worth, it appears my Darwin to FreeBSD x86/ppc options are:

HFS+
Native to Mac and ported by yar thanks to APSL - may gradually lose support.

Fat32
The classic "cross platform" format, unless MS goes patent crazy. 5.x
has reportedly imported Apple APSL code for improved functionality.
Best bet?

Ext2
Mac drivers are at sourceforge and are reportedly stable. FreeBSD
side would probably need sparse superblocks turned off as per Michael
Lucas' "compat_linux the Hard Way" at onlamp (point compat_linux at a
real RH install).

mount and maintenance utilities appear to exist in various forms for each.

It sounds like Darwin UFS may never sync with FreeBSD because of the
work that would be involved.

For those after Windows support, the "captive-ntfs" driver (using MS
binaries) may be adaptable to FreeBSD ... but I'm after
Mac-friendliness. :)

Thank you all who posted their insights and I wish you well with the PPC port.

Michael.

DOS/Windows and GNU/Linux are like airplane food: they have been
improved in countless ways for improved appearance, aroma, flavor and
consistency but there is only one problem: it still doesn't taste
good.