How are things looking?

peterg at ptree32.com.au peterg at ptree32.com.au
Sun Sep 14 06:45:52 PDT 2003

>>  FreeBSD will use the console device that OpenFirmware is
>> set to. You can use the FreeBSD loader in place of the
>> NetBSD one, and OFW can even boot a FreeBSD kernel
directly.

 Oops, I forgot that you were using the beige G3 there.
You're right, OFW 2.4 doesn't understand ELF.

>I was able to use objdump and fixcoff (which would make
>a great addition to the fbsd tree) from NetBSD to create
>a useable loader.

 That's great news. My plan was not to use binutils, but
to modify the existing elf2aout to create the XCOFF'd
loader.

>After that, of course, will be getting the onboard ethernet
>working. :-D

 I'm working on that as well (for the B&W G3), but if you
want, and since I won't be coding for another week or so,
you could start with the sources at

  www.freebsd.org/~grehan/if_bm.c
                          if_bmreg.h

 The big issue is how to do a clean NEWBUS version of dbdma.

later,

Peter.