rename to freebsd-powerpc?

Benno Rice benno at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 15 06:49:51 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 21:56, David Leimbach wrote:
> Well is the goal to support "all" PowerPC or just Macintosh?

The goal is to be as generic as we can be.

> There are a ton of VME PowerPC boards out there and some
> RS/6000s that might be able to run FreeBSD as well.

Yep.  The issue is getting someone with the time to do the work who has
access to that hardware.

> What is the goal of people on this list?   If its just mac-powerpc
> perhaps that is the way to go?  Of course if Apple actually releases
> a Mac based on PPC-970 [64 bit PPC CPU] then we might get more confusion
> with Mac-PowerPC. :)
>
> Technically I think PPC is fine, powerpc is better but it may not
> really be more specific :).

And PPC is more specific?  PowerPC is the name of the specification that
all of these processors follow, whether it's the 32-bit or 64-bit OEA
specifications or the weird variants like the IBM 4xx's they're all
called PowerPC.  Since we have a driver in the system called ppc which
handles PC parallel port stuff, I've always made a concious effort to
refer to the platform as powerpc rather than ppc.  It's also the name of
the directory in which the arch-specific code resides.

The idea of the codebase is to support as many PowerPC platforms as we
can, so I think that's the right name for it.

--
Benno Rice
benno at FreeBSD.org